[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Fri Mar 26 15:54:42 EST 2004

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Actually, I wonder if the whole concept will disappear.  If so, we don't
> really need a term for this.  Zope 3 will become a library upon which
> people build applications.  Reuse between applications will involve
> sharing Python packages.  So what we call a product today is a Python
> package that is also either an application or a library (or both).
> Therefore, I would suggest products.zcml be renamed libraries.zcml or
> packages.zcml.

I think Shane has it right here. I don't think we're talking about:

  - products
  - bundles
  - packages
  - extensions
  - plugins

We're talking about parsing some ZCML so that extra stuff gets
registered with Zope.

My suggestions is to abandon any talk of what this 'thing' is. Instead,
rename the file:

   products.zcml -> external.zcml

and document is as being:

   Configuration for external applications.

  -- Garrett