[Zope3-dev] Re: doctests in *.txt files

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 29 12:42:21 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 19:35, Tim Peters wrote:

> Some of the most useful features of test.py involve working around
> design deficiencies in unittest.

Could you be more specific?

 > I suspect the best approach would be
> to write a new module to replace unittest.  It would have the same
> interface for writing tests, but a new set of tools for running tests.

Why would it need to replace all of unittest? Couldn't it just replace the
aspects related to automated test execution?  Could it still then work
with unittest test cases and suites?

> The most difficult part of test.py to adapt to a generic library is the
> code for finding tests.  The rules are fairly Zope-specific and the
> details seem to change for each package, depending on its source layout
> and whether the tests run for a distutils build directory.

Short of a new standard-library package, perhaps we could start with
trying to abstract and restructure *this* aspect of test.py. Perhaps
Mark could help by looking at the way test.py searches for tests in
Zope 3, Zope 2, and ZODB and suggest some parameterization that be
controlled via a configuration file.