[Zope3-dev] Re: doctests in *.txt files

Barry Warsaw barry at zope.com
Mon Mar 29 12:56:12 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 12:42, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Short of a new standard-library package, perhaps we could start with
> trying to abstract and restructure *this* aspect of test.py. Perhaps
> Mark could help by looking at the way test.py searches for tests in
> Zope 3, Zope 2, and ZODB and suggest some parameterization that be
> controlled via a configuration file.

It's been a long time since I looked at test.py, but when I tried to
adapt it to another application that has a similar directory layout to
Zope3, it wasn't actually too hard.  IIRC, there was one place where
some directories are specified (either to add to sys.path or to start
looking for tests -- I don't remember).  I believe I had to change that
in the file and the it all Just Worked.

I should grab the latest version of Z3's test.py and give it a try
again.

Note that for me, the biggest problem with test.py is its sheer size.
I'd like to see most of that moved into the standard library, with a
small, simple shim test.py as a sibling of setup.py.  (Yes, setup.py is
generally too verbose too ;).

-Barry