[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 29 14:38:15 EST 2004

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I think this has a lot of merit, and am glad to see lots of +1s
>> in response, however, I'll note that when I suggested the term
>> "package" for the through-the-web equivalent of this a year or so ago,
>> I got lots fo objections that this would be roo confusing.
>

> We're talking about a simpler entity now.  A piece of distributable Zope
> 3 code is just a Python package with .zcml files, isn't it?

While that will be the common case, I'm not sure it's the only case.
For example, Plone 3 is likely to be much more than a single package. :)

I'm not sure that what we are talking about is that much simpler. In any case,
the thing we are talking about is not the same things as a Python package.

>> I'll also note that the Python community is trying to use the
>> word "distribution", but it doesn't "stick" very well. For example.
>> PEP 262 which describes a distribution database actually uses the word
>> "package" in it's title.
>

> I thought a distribution was a collection of packages.

No, a collection of stuff, especially modules.

 > It would be
> pretty hard to convince Linux users otherwise. :-)

I think the Python community has a problem with the word "distribution".
It just doesn't feel right.  They too are trying to avoid the conflict with
"package".

Come to think of it, when Fred and I have tried to discuss this, we've actually
tripped over the word "package" as being too ambigious, falling back on "distribution"
(and making a face. :)