[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Mon Mar 29 14:47:30 EST 2004

On Monday 29 March 2004 02:38 pm, Jim Fulton wrote:
 > I think the Python community has a problem with the word "distribution".
 > It just doesn't feel right.  They too are trying to avoid the conflict
 > with "package".

The biggest problem with "distribution" is mostly that its too big; we want a
shorter word.  And one that doesn't actually indicate distribution; the word
should obviously refer to what's distributed (which is why we keep calling it
a package, even though that's taken already).

 > Come to think of it, when Fred and I have tried to discuss this, we've
 > actually tripped over the word "package" as being too ambigious, falling
 > back on "distribution" (and making a face. :)

Those faces weren't nearly as contorted as they have been for some of the
other alternatives we've come up with!  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation