[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Mar 30 04:56:47 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Brian Lloyd wrote:

>> FWIW - for a long time I've wished that we could just stop expending
>> energy on this and just call them packages as a general term. Yes,
>> package is a term that has a specific meaning in Python - the same is
>> true in Java, yet somehow people manage to grok the distinction
>> between 'package' used as a general term and the concrete concept of a
>> Java package.
>

> I think this has a lot of merit, and am glad to see lots of +1s
> in response, however, I'll note that when I suggested the term
> "package" for the through-the-web equivalent of this a year or so ago,
> I got lots fo objections that this would be roo confusing.

We're not discussing the TTW version of this now. But we can take the
same approach. We won't call them just 'packages', as that is indeed
rather confusing. You would first think of a python package (which may
include Zope 3 specific stuff). So let's use a prefix for these; let's
call them ZODB packages or TTW packages or something like that.

> I think we are going to get rid of products.zcml in favor of a directory,
> currently called "products".  Perhaps this should be renamed
> "package-includes".

Perhaps 'packages'? To disambiguate when necessary we could call it the
'Zope packages directory'.

Regards,

Martijn