[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Mar 30 05:02:31 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> I think this has a lot of merit, and am glad to see lots of +1s
>>> in response, however, I'll note that when I suggested the term
>>> "package" for the through-the-web equivalent of this a year or so ago,
>>> I got lots fo objections that this would be roo confusing.
>>
>> We're talking about a simpler entity now.  A piece of distributable
>> Zope 3 code is just a Python package with .zcml files, isn't it?
>
> While that will be the common case, I'm not sure it's the only case.
> For example, Plone 3 is likely to be much more than a single package. :)

Those I would call an application or framework. These are *composed* of
Zope 3 packages. Plone right now isn't a 'Product' either.

Physically you could call these 'distribution', I suppose, though I'm
not sure whether such a word is needed.

> I'm not sure that what we are talking about is that much simpler. In any
> case, the thing we are talking about is not the same things as a Python package.

They're a Zope package. Just like a Debian package is a Debian package.
And an RPM is a RPM Package.

>>> I'll also note that the Python community is trying to use the
>>> word "distribution", but it doesn't "stick" very well. For example.
>>> PEP 262 which describes a distribution database actually uses the word
>>> "package" in it's title.
>>
>> I thought a distribution was a collection of packages.

> No, a collection of stuff, especially modules.

Hm, above I have the same intuition as Shane did; a distribution is a
collection of packages. In this context, of course. Happens to have to
have the same meaning in the Linux world, which is encouraging.

Regards,

Martijn