[Zope3-dev] Re:End-of-line translation problem

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon May 3 10:46:04 EDT 2004

[Stephan Richter]
>> Once we have the PO --> MO conversion be part of the "make" process,
>> then we do not need to check them in anymore. However, I did not
>> know enough about setup.py to add this functionality. Also, we need
>> to get the Python msgfmt.py tool under a Zope-acceptable license.

[Barry Warsaw]
> You could steal stuff from Mailman's messages/Makefile.in.  It's not
> integrated w/ setup.py but it does the right calls during the build
> process.

Unsure about others, but here on Windows the only "build process" during
Zope3 devel is running setup.py.  It's OK by me if people keep .mo files up
to date in the repository <wink>.

> Maybe we should get Python's standard "make install" to install
> msgfmt.py?  Then you could just use that and not have to ship one with
> Zope.  Or does PSF license preclude you from just copying that file
> into Zope some place?

It's OK by the PSF license provided the PSF's copyright and license are
reproduced, but checking in a non-ZPL'ed file requires (IIRC) approval from
Zope Corp mgmt.  We've put PSF-licensed code in Zope3 before; e.g., before
Python 2.3 was required, Zope3 had lightly fiddled copies of (at least)
datetime.py and _strptime.py.