[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Proposal: cvs to subversion transition May 11 (?)

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Wed May 5 13:45:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:31:20AM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> FYI, some modules are very oddly formatted when you view them.  For
> example, see:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/testing/doctest.py?rev=13707&view=auto
>
> which suddenly stops being preformatted text, midway through the module.

I wanted to check this out, but all I got was an error message

  svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem /svn/repos/main/db:
  DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Usually this symptom means that some process that accessed the
Subversion repository did not have its umask set correctly (to 002), and
created a log file in /svn/repos/main/db/ that is not group-writable.
The fix is simple:

  chmod g+w /svn/repos/main/db/*
  svnadmin recover /svn/repos/main

but it is really a pain to make sure that all processes that work with
the repository have the correct umask set.  AFAIR the Subversion book
recommends replacing /usr/bin/svn and /usr/bin/svnserver with simple
wrappers that set the umask and execs the real binaries.  I personally
wish Subversion added a per-repository option to force the correct
umask.

Marius Gedminas
--
Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay (and
quite a few things that just have nothing at all to do with the question).