[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Proposal: cvs to subversion transition May 11 (?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 6 00:51:25 EDT 2004

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:31:20AM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>FYI, some modules are very oddly formatted when you view them.  For
>>example, see:
>>
>>http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/testing/doctest.py?rev=13707&view=auto
>>
>>which suddenly stops being preformatted text, midway through the module.
>

> I wanted to check this out, but all I got was an error message
>
>   svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem /svn/repos/main/db:
>   DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>
> Usually this symptom means that some process that accessed the
> Subversion repository did not have its umask set correctly (to 002), and
> created a log file in /svn/repos/main/db/ that is not group-writable.
> The fix is simple:
>
>   chmod g+w /svn/repos/main/db/*
>   svnadmin recover /svn/repos/main

Yeah, I fixed this for now ...

> but it is really a pain to make sure that all processes that work with
> the repository have the correct umask set.  AFAIR the Subversion book
> recommends replacing /usr/bin/svn and /usr/bin/svnserver with simple
> wrappers that set the umask and execs the real binaries.

Except that ViewCVS (the unreleased ViewCVS :() doesn't use subversion
commands.  It uses a Python svn extension.  I'll have to fix this by modifying
ViewCVS or having apache run some other program that sets the umask and then
runs ViewCVS.  This especially irritating, since ViewCVS isn't logically
modifying the database, but Berkeley DB creates log records for read
transactions.

 > I personally
> wish Subversion added a per-repository option to force the correct
> umask.

Me too.