[Zope3-dev] interface package changes

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Sat May 8 08:04:20 EDT 2004

Kapil Thangavelu wrote:

> i haven't had time to really dig into this the last week ( and none in
> sight for another week) but i wanted to comment on this.

> one of the important items for merging in z3 interfaces to z2 is
> maintaining compatiblity with existing interface declarations and usage
> (although replacing broken parts with working ones is not a backwards
> compatiblity issue). as part of this the existing z2 interfaces will go
> the way of the dodo to be replaced by a proxy package implmentation that
> defer to z3 interfaces, an implementation that jim wrote last year,
>
> http://cvs.zope.org/Packages3/Interface/
>
> if removing __implements__ support from z3.interfaces will break
> compatiblity with existing z2 declarations, then it needs to be
> reconsidered.

Did you miss this thread?

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-April/010613.html

Z2 declarations will continue to work, they'll just live in an interface
namespace of their own. For any particular Zope 2 product it's not hard
to switch to the Zope 3 implementation though. We'll then proceed to
athropy the old Z2 approach. This approach works out of the box with
Zope 2.7.

This is a very simple, almost simplistic approach. This is why I like it
so much. :)

Note that I suspect we'll run into this approach again in the future for
other aspects of Zope 3. I think the way forward are simple ways to
*supplement* Zope 2 with Zope 3, as opposed to rebuilding its insides.
Products can then (on a python level) start using Zope 3 technology. We
currently don't have the resources to do much more, I suspect.

If Zope 3 technology in Zope 2 becomes more popular amongst developers,
we will gain the resources to do more fancy things.

Regards,

Martijn