[Zope3-dev] interface package changes

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Sun May 9 00:44:05 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 08:04, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>
> > i haven't had time to really dig into this the last week ( and none in
> > sight for another week) but i wanted to comment on this.
>
> > one of the important items for merging in z3 interfaces to z2 is
> > maintaining compatiblity with existing interface declarations and usage
> > (although replacing broken parts with working ones is not a backwards
> > compatiblity issue). as part of this the existing z2 interfaces will go
> > the way of the dodo to be replaced by a proxy package implmentation that
> > defer to z3 interfaces, an implementation that jim wrote last year,
> >
> > http://cvs.zope.org/Packages3/Interface/
> >
> > if removing __implements__ support from z3.interfaces will break
> > compatiblity with existing z2 declarations, then it needs to be
> > reconsidered.
>
> Did you miss this thread?

yup. thanks for the link, that clarifies much.

> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-April/010613.html
>
> Z2 declarations will continue to work, they'll just live in an interface
> namespace of their own. For any particular Zope 2 product it's not hard
> to switch to the Zope 3 implementation though. We'll then proceed to
> athropy the old Z2 approach. This approach works out of the box with
> Zope 2.7.
>
> This is a very simple, almost simplistic approach. This is why I like it
> so much. :)
>
> Note that I suspect we'll run into this approach again in the future for
> other aspects of Zope 3. I think the way forward are simple ways to
> *supplement* Zope 2 with Zope 3, as opposed to rebuilding its insides.
> Products can then (on a python level) start using Zope 3 technology. We
> currently don't have the resources to do much more, I suspect.

understood. so, to see any benefits of z3 interfaces z2 apps will have
to depend on them explictly. in addition to integration with z2.8, it
would be nice to have the z3 iface package available separately for use
with z2.7 so apps that use this functionality can recommend an
additional dependency for that platform.

cheers,

-kapil