[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 packaging tool

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue May 11 14:10:09 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> I've posted the HTML version of the documentation for the packaging tool I've
> been working with on Zope.org:
>
>     http://zope.org/Members/fdrake/zpkgtools/
>
> I figured it might be easier to people to read about the beast if it appeared
> formatted in a web browser.  ;-)
>
> Please read this material if you're interested in the packaging tool.  I'll
> try to answer any questions; just post them here on zope3-dev.

Okay, thanks for all this documentation. I'm afrid though I'm still lost
in a maze of twisty config files, all alike. Some concrete examples
would be appreciated.

In particular, my goal would be for instance to create a package
distribution for the zope.interface package. Or say, zope.component.

Um, what files would I create to do that, and then what command do I type?

I understand I need a .zpkg.conf, pointing to resource maps. The
resource maps are a mapping from package name to URI identifying the
package. I'm a bit at a loss what to put in there. zope.interface? Or
also all the dependencies of zope.interface? If I need to put in all the
dependencies then isn't that work the tool should be doing? Or should I
point it to the zope package and will it figure out zope packages? I
have no idea.

Anyway, the problem with the current documentation is like unix man
pages. Useful if you already know how to use the command, but rather
incomprehensible if you don't really know yet.

Some concrete examples would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Martijn