[Zope3-dev] Temporarily disabling catalogs and indexes and removing the object hub

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue May 25 09:21:57 EDT 2004

We don't plan to include cataloging or indexing support in Zope X3.0

I assume that no one is using catalogs or indexes in Zope 3 at this point.
If this isn't the case, please let me know.

Currently, catalogs and indexes depend on the local event service and the
object hub. I'm going to rip out the object hub and any code that depends on
it or the local event service.  This is in preparation for removing the local
event service (http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifyEventSystem).

There's some good code in zope.app.index and zope.app.catalog that I definately
want to retain.  So, I will keep this code and it's tests, but I will leave these
packages in an unusable state.  Later, when we have time (at least after X3.0 beta 1,
and possibly after X3.0 final), we'll add new code that will make these functional
again.  If anyone's interested, this would make a good project for the EuroPython
sprint.