[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed May 26 10:04:47 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> Log message for revision 24986:
>> Remove unused directory.
>>

>> -=-
>

> Jim,
>
> judging from the body of this email, it is unclear what has been
> removed. If I look in the subject of the mail, I can only estimate where
> the deletion has taken place (Stephan could have deleted a few files in
> functional_tests or the directory itself).
>
> The standard post-commit script for sending mails prepends diffs with an
> explanatory text explaning changes, especially listing what happened to
> each file, e.g:
>
> Author: philikon
> Date: Sat May 22 11:33:28 2004
> New Revision: 4499
>
> Removed:
>    kupu/branch/kupu-1.1/form/wire.kupu
> Modified:
>    kupu/branch/kupu-1.1/dist-form.kupu
>    kupu/branch/kupu-1.1/form/body.kupu
>    kupu/branch/kupu-1.1/form/include.kupu
> Log:
> Simplify the 'form' implementation.
>

> As much as I like our custom script (e.g. the log message in the
> subject), I would prefer if we could have at least the list of
> Removed/Added/Modified files back.

I actually *hate* having the log message in the 'Subject:' line.  The
code which attempts to guess which bits of the checkin message to
include sucks at this point (e.g., "

   Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove	  unused directory.

Perhaps we might adopt a rigid policy which requires a concise,
single-line summary as the first non-blank line of the commit message,
(or add a leading 'Subject:' to the summary line?).

I find the messages generated by CVS to much more predictable,
"scannable," and useful.  I realize that because SVN produces only one
message for a cross-directory change, it has a somewhat more complex task.

> P.S.: I also think the "SVN:" in the subject is not necessary since we
> have separate mailinglists for commit mails and it can hardly be used as
> an identifier for filtering mails. It's just taking up space in the mail
> client ;).

At the moment, the prefix is useful because the messages are also going
to lists which still have traffic from CVS.

> P.P.S.: Are there any plans to move some satellite projects to svn, such
> as the Docs on the ComponentArchicture (contact example)? IIRC, zpkg is
> in CVS, too...

(Trimming the checkins list from follow ups, adding zope-coders.)

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com