[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu May 27 07:57:34 EDT 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:
> I actually *hate* having the log message in the 'Subject:' line.  The
> code which attempts to guess which bits of the checkin message to
> include sucks at this point (e.g., "
>
>   Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove      unused directory.
>
> Perhaps we might adopt a rigid policy which requires a concise,
> single-line summary as the first non-blank line of the commit message,
> (or add a leading 'Subject:' to the summary line?).

I agree that it sucks having multiple spaces in them, but I've found it
quite useful to read the first few words of the log message in the
subject. Most of the time, log messages are written well enough to let
me guess what they're about just by looking at the subject.

> I find the messages generated by CVS to much more predictable,
> "scannable," and useful.  I realize that because SVN produces only one
> message for a cross-directory change, it has a somewhat more complex task.

Well, I actually always disliked CVS's sending a message for every
directory, not for every change. Problem is that CVS doesn't know atomic
changes...

>> P.S.: I also think the "SVN:" in the subject is not necessary since we
>> have separate mailinglists for commit mails and it can hardly be used
>> as an identifier for filtering mails. It's just taking up space in the
>> mail client ;).
>
> At the moment, the prefix is useful because the messages are also going
> to lists which still have traffic from CVS.

The traffic from CVS would still be designated with "CVS".

Philipp