[Zope3-dev] Errors with ZopeX3a2 windows binary

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu May 27 02:36:05 EDT 2004

[Michael Haubenwallner]
> I had some troubles installing the new windows binary alpha2 release.
>
> First, installation into lib/python/site-packages/...
>    with the current install only 1 version of zx3 can live in the
> filesystem.

That's true, and distutils on Windows gives no choice about this (the
installer was built via the distutils bdist_wininst command).

> installing zx3a2 overwrote most files, some from alpha 1 stayed in
> place though

I'm guessing you didn't run the alpha 1 uninstaller first (one was created
by the alpha 1 installer, and an entry for it was created in Control Panel's
Add/Remove Programs applet).

> - this produced an error message:
> ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File
> "C:\Python23\Lib\site-
> packages\zope\app\apidoc\classmodule\configure.zcml",
> line 23.2-26.19 AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
> 'TLocation'
>
> after completely removing zx3a1 from site-packages

That's not enough (as you already discovered <wink>).

> and reinstalling i had antoher problem:
> ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File
> "c:\zope3a2\etc\package-includes\catalog-configure.zcml", line 1.0-1.38
> ConfigurationError: ('Invalid value for', 'package', 'Module zope.app
> has no global catalog')
>
> same with index-configure.zcml...

One of the *other* things the alpha 1 uninstaller would have done for you is
remove these files from your *Python* directory's skel/ subdirectory.
That's where those .zcml file are really coming from, and they'll keep
coming back every time you run mkzopeinstance.

> i then removed catalog-configure.zcml and index-configure.zcml from
> $INSTANCE\etc\package-includes. zx3a2 starts up and works now.

On Windows, people will just have to live with needing to run the
uninstaller for the previous version before running the installer for the
current version.  That will remain the case until "a real" Windows installer
can be written; I don't know of any plans to do that (whether in or out of
Zope Corp).

BTW, thanks for trying it!