[Zope3-dev] Errors with ZopeX3a2 windows binary

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 27 07:21:52 EDT 2004

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Michael Haubenwallner]

> On Windows, people will just have to live with needing to run the
> uninstaller for the previous version before running the installer for the
> current version.  That will remain the case until "a real" Windows installer
> can be written; I don't know of any plans to do that (whether in or out of
> Zope Corp).

Well, we absolutely need a decent windows installer. We definitely plan
to do that.  I really *want* that installer to be distutils created, as
I don't really want to be in the business of writing windows installers.

My hope is that, at least in the long term, we can enhance distutils to do
what we need. In particular, I think there needs to be a notion of installing
an application, rather than a library.  An application is like a script except
that it has it's own home directory, with it's own library, scripts, and data
files. Zope is not the only application that could use this.