[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu May 27 09:23:11 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:

>> I actually *hate* having the log message in the 'Subject:' line.  The
>> code which attempts to guess which bits of the checkin message to
>> include sucks at this point (e.g., "
>>
>>   Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove      unused directory.
>

> Huh? This looks pretty good to me. I can see, just be looking at the
> subject,
> what are of the repository was affected and what was done.
>
> Note that the extra space (actually newline) was added by mailman AFAICT.
>
> The orginal subject was:
>
>   SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.
>
> Which I'm very happy with
 >
> I'll also note that "sucks" is not very descriptive. I'm guessing
> that you are unhappy with the extra space, but I have know way of
> knowing.

Extra spaces aside, I don't think that the guessed description adds
enough value to pay for the cost of the "visual" clutter.  The
readability *in the list of e-mails* goes down rapidly (our current
example is practically a best case;  note that "chatty" comments are not
uncommon).  I would vastly prefer just:

   SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/

BTW, This thread is not the first time I expressed my dislike for the
current Subject: line stuff.  See:

   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2004-May/004890.html

I got at least one "yeah, me too" (off list) to that request.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com