[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 27 08:25:26 EDT 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:

> I actually *hate* having the log message in the 'Subject:' line.  The
> code which attempts to guess which bits of the checkin message to
> include sucks at this point (e.g., "
>
>   Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove      unused directory.

Huh? This looks pretty good to me. I can see, just be looking at the subject,
what are of the repository was affected and what was done.

Note that the extra space (actually newline) was added by mailman AFAICT.

The orginal subject was:

   SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unused directory.

Which I'm very happy with.

I'll also note that "sucks" is not very descriptive. I'm guessing
that you are unhappy with the extra space, but I have know way of
knowing.

> Perhaps we might adopt a rigid policy which requires a concise,
> single-line summary as the first non-blank line of the commit message,

I think that would be a nice convention.  I don't think it needs to be
rigid. IMO, gaving the first line of the log in the subject is a nice
convenience.

> (or add a leading 'Subject:' to the summary line?).

nah

> I find the messages generated by CVS to much more predictable,
> "scannable," and useful.

Could you be more specific?  I don't find them all that scannable.
I wrote some scripts to try to analyze the email database and
found the data to be not nearly so predictable and scannable as it might
appear.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

>  I realize that because SVN produces only one
> message for a cross-directory change, it has a somewhat more complex task.

The task dosn't seem that complex to me.

Note that this makes things simpler, especially for the reader, because
all of the information for a commit is in *one* email message.