[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove unuseddirectory.

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu May 27 09:56:49 EDT 2004

[Jim Fulton]
> Note that the extra space (actually newline) was added by mailman AFAICT.

Good -- finally a technical issue <wink>.  What it looks like varies across
email clients.  The actual Subject (from the headers) is something like:

Subject: [Zope3-checkins] Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/functional_tests/ Remove
	unused directory.
^ there's a tab character here

That is, it's split across physical lines.  How clients display this varies.
Some normalize "continuation whitespace" to a single blank, which is the
most sensible thing to do.  Sounds like Tres's leaves it as a tab.  Outlook
removes it entirely, so it displays like "... Removeunused ...", and since
I'm using Outlook for this reply, that's why the Subject line on *this*
message has "unuseddirectory" run together (the Subject header on the msg
I'm replying to was split after "unused").

For the non-technical part, I like the "enhanced" subject lines we get on
SVN checkins.  I find them helpful.  I also find one msg per checkin (as
opposed to one per directory) very helpful.  While it doesn't really need
this help, my spambayes classifier has learned that "SVN:" in a Subject line
is a strong ham clue.

+1 on a convention of starting checkin comments with a brief summary line.