[Zope3-dev] Re:

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 9 13:37:30 EST 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
>>>Hmm.  "page" and "pagelet"?
>>
>>Yes, we are using those terms, but we have an intuition that
>>pagelets and portlets are different, although portlets
>>may be special kinds of pagelets.
>

> Whoops, we're talking past each other - I didn't see
> "pagelet" anywhere in the proposal, so I was making a
> suggestion (phrased as a question) - use "page" and
> "pagelet" as generic alternatives to "portal page" and "portlet".
> I completely missed that "pagelet" already appears in this thread's subject,
> so of course you read my message as a rather vague question :-)
>
> On reflection, "page" is much too ambiguous for what we're talking
> about. It could mean any of:
>
> * Page: a composite object that uses zero or more pagelets.
>
> * Page: an atomic content object that has nothing to do with pagelets.
>   Something like CMF's "Document".
>
> * page: an informal term for anything the end user experiences as
>   a 'web page'" regardless of the type or number of objects responsible
>   for creating it.
>
> The first is what we need a name for.  The best I can think of now is
> "Composite Page".  Which isn't too bad really.
> And apparently it's the best name Shane could think of too :-)
>

>>A pagelet is a component of a page.  I'd really like to see
>>an architecture that deals with page composition.

What about page compontents?

To make the confusion perfect I'll add more terms:

   * Layout - used for different presentations of a page? [1]
     the complement of a layout is a (XML)page holding the structure?
   * Template - used for creating layouts, pages, etc.?
   * Document - is it different from a page?
   * Site -  "a collection of pages that forms a cohesive whole"
   * Site components - ?
   * Stylesheet - CSS, XSL [2]
   * ...

[1] <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts>