[Zope3-dev]

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Nov 9 11:12:20 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:35:10AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:16:38PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> >>I'm open to using a different term.  I'd hate to use a term
> >>like "page that contains portlets". :)
> >

> >Hmm.  "page" and "pagelet"?
>
> Yes, we are using those terms, but we have an intuition that
> pagelets and portlets are different, although portlets
> may be special kinds of pagelets.

Whoops, we're talking past each other - I didn't see
"pagelet" anywhere in the proposal, so I was making a
suggestion (phrased as a question) - use "page" and
"pagelet" as generic alternatives to "portal page" and "portlet".
I completely missed that "pagelet" already appears in this thread's subject,
so of course you read my message as a rather vague question :-)

On reflection, "page" is much too ambiguous for what we're talking
about. It could mean any of:

* Page: a composite object that uses zero or more pagelets.

* Page: an atomic content object that has nothing to do with pagelets.
  Something like CMF's "Document".

* page: an informal term for anything the end user experiences as
  a 'web page'" regardless of the type or number of objects responsible
  for creating it.

The first is what we need a name for.  The best I can think of now is
"Composite Page".  Which isn't too bad really.
And apparently it's the best name Shane could think of too :-)

> A pagelet is a component of a page.  I'd really like to see
> an architecture that deals with page composition.

Exactly.

P.S. I've just updating the wiki page with
a Terminology section. Feel free to add to, rewrite, or nuke it.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com