[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 a la carte

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Oct 5 20:21:25 EDT 2004

I'm looking for advice on integrating Zope 3 libraries into a current project.
I have a new constraint I haven't had before on a Python project: once I'm
done, the code will probably be handed to over to maintainers who currently
know little Python.  This means I have to minimize the number of concepts I
introduce.

The project currently uses ZODB, Twisted, wxPython, SimpleTAL, and MySQL.  All
of these are easy to explain and require little code.  I think my code is
still under 3000 lines.  Now I need to introduce access control.  I would
also like to use the publisher and Zope 3's implementation of page templates.
So I'm looking for Zope 3 "a la carte".

I don't want the management interface, any sort of content like files or
folders, introspectability, etc.  I do want ZCML and the component
architecture so I can take advantage of views.

Can I approach Zope 3 this way?  Has anyone tried it before?  I'm thinking I'd
like to start with one ZCML file with bare minimum configuration and a little
code that loads that ZCML.  Then I'd like to add directives and code until I
have only the functionality I need.

Shane