[Zope3-dev] Re: unicode problems !?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 11 17:00:09 EDT 2004

Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 11:42:53AM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>Files could grow an 'encoding' attribute that is updated by the editing
>>view according to the encoding of the request.
>>I think text/* files should still be editable; we should fix up the
>>Bytes widget.
>

> Yes, adding an 'encoding' attribute is one option. Although I don't
> understand what you mean by that it should be updated by the editing
> view according to to request.
>
> Often when users upload files, the files will be encoded in an encoding
> different from UTF-8.

Why?

The user writes some chinese text into the text box. The user doesn't
care about an encoding at that point. The user just wants to enter text
in a textarea. The view should deduce the encoding from the request.

If you upload a non "text/*" file, yes, then you should be required to
specify an encoding. But then you won't be shown a textarea anyway.

> The File must also use its 'encoding' attribute to set the encoding of
> the response.

But of course :)

Philipp