[Zope3-dev] Re: HTTP sessions

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Oct 20 13:58:01 EDT 2004

Jeffrey Shell wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:30 +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen
> <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>
>>Peter Mayne wrote:
>>
>>>Well, at least that encourages stateless programming. :-)
>>
>>Maybe so... It's really just bad luck that it came too late for X3.0, no
>>other intentions.
>>

>>>Sidetrack question: what does "in the trunk" mean here?
>>
>>trunk as in subversion trunk (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk). X3.0 has
>>been split off to a branch a long time ago and was frozen feature-wise.
>>All new features since then have only been added to the trunk which will
>>eventually become X3.1.
>

> Is there any concern that this will cause people to stay away from
> X3.0,

I don't think so. It's just that X3.0 needs limited feature scope so we
can finally get a final version up and running. I personally would be
very happy if X3.1 wasn't as far away as some people are projecting it
so that we can take advantage of all the new features.

> or that it will lead to weaker 3rd party session management
> implementations for X3.0?

You should be able to backport the session stuff (zope.app.session)
easily. It might even be distributable as a 3rd party package almost
unmodified. Would be cool if you got it running and could make an
installable tarball :)

> Lack of sessions is a big blocker for an application system that I'm
> wanting to port to Zope X3.  I might try working on a different system
> instead, though.

I'm not sure what to do with this statement. :)

Philipp