[Zope3-dev] string agnostic page templates, again

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Sep 9 23:27:03 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 09:17 am, Fred Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:02:10 -0400, Stephan Richter
>
> <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> > Just implement ZPT in C and be finally done with it. :-)
>
> Heh.  And just how much of it needs to be in C?
>
> Shane wrote a good chunk of it in C once, at the same time we were
> adding a major feature (i18n, IIRC), and no one stepped up to help
> test/update that code.  The time available is not unlimited, and a C
> implementation of something as involved as ZPT isn't trivial.

It was just a fun experiment, really. :-)  I became a little discouraged about
updating it because of the migration to unicode.  <string.h> is an old friend
that's hard to part with.

> I wonder if the best approach would be to implement the evaluation
> context differently; I remember a lot of the time was being spent
> there the last time I profiled it, but that wasn't recently.

In Zope 2, the main bottleneck isn't the TAL interpreter, it's the expression
evaluation.  Even simple TALES expressions in Zope 2 are fairly expensive.  I
don't yet know how Zope 3 compares.

Shane