[Zope3-dev] IsarSprint topics - Zope 3 application components

Michael Zeltner mzeltner at netalleynetworks.com
Sun Sep 12 18:45:20 EDT 2004

Am 12.09.2004 um 22:27 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:

> A skin composed of pagelets will make the editing of the main template
> unnecessary 99% of the time.  It will also make the creation of new
> skins (hence the reinvention of the wheel) unnecessary 99% of the
> time. Plone has shown that this is quite possible.

Plone doesn't use pagelets ... they would add *a lot* of more
flexibility and easier maintainability to the current code.

The original "pagelet concept" (with pagelet in it's name :) it seems
Projekt01 has similiar things), which was proposed by Joe Geldart as
PLIP to Plone, has been adopted for Z3 and is available in form of
documentation at
https://malik.netalleynetworks.com/siesia-schema/trunk/docs/
pagelets.rtx. So, yes, there's working code available at
https://malik.netalleynetworks.com/siesia-schema/trunk/, and as far as
i can tell only the permissions don't work properly yet.

I know Projekt01 Tiks' has something similiar, but as far as i know it
currently lacks the ability to add TALES conditions to pagelets -
correct? It's a huge benefit when you're an administrator that needs to
decide which part of the site is shown when.

> IMHO, a new skin based on the pagelet concept and Plone's maxime of
> "sensible defaults" is absolutely necessary. I'm not a skinning expert
> but I've underwent some serious pain when I wrote the skinning chapter
> of my book. Others share that pain :) Plone's default skin certainly
> is a matter of taste, but its tremendous flexibility is very much
> proven, such as when the Plone team recently added Right-to-left
> language support with minor CSS and ZPT adjustments.

Well as part of the team that made Plone 2.0 like it is skin wise:
thanks ;). For some reason the page that contained a list of CSS
customized Plone sites is gone, but yes, Plones defaults are already
very flexible without the need of touching much templates.

We (3 guys from the Plone UI Team - so, a half of it - that were
responsible for the accessibility and heavy CSS flexibility) are also
working on a Z3 skin based (oh, do you remember the (awkward) proposals
i sent a few months ago? hehe, calm down ;) all concepts Z3ified) on
our expierence with Plone - that's already available as well:
https://malik.netalleynetworks.com/siesia-lf/trunk/ (depends on
siesia-schema). There are some, more or less small things missing for a
proper Rotterdam replacement (styles for example, hehe, we have them
already, but not in this version yet) but we will get that done within
the next two weeks.

And thats actually not the only skin related stuff we've been working
on.

Should i try harder to come to the Isar Sprint? ;)

Regards, Michael
--
Michael Zeltner
Netalley Networks LLP