[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Fri Sep 24 06:15:03 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

>>> explicit vs implicit is not a all or nothing rule : the python code
>>> is explicitely stating there should be translation. Which is enough...
>>

>> I agree with Godefroid here. It is explicit, and it's a lot easier on
>> the developer to be able to do this in the Python code in many cases,
>> instead of having to modify the page templates.
>

> The Python code is explicitly aying that the value is a message id.
> It is *not* explcitly aying that it should be translated.  For better
> or worse, message ids are also strings.  It is common to do string
> opeations on message ids without translation. In fact, there is no way,
> in general to know that translation should be done.  If you look
> at the example that Godefroid gave, doing translation implcitly is
> clearly the wrong thing to do.
>
> Jim

I can understand this : while discussing with Stephan on IRC, I did not
know if I was really for the inclusion of this patch.

But I really want the current comportment of implicitely translating
messageids coming back from the Python code to stay as it is.

--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)                http://bubblenet.be