[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Sep 24 06:00:56 EDT 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>

>>> No, it's not. Translation needs to be explicit, IMO.
>>

>> explicit vs implicit is not a all or nothing rule : the python code is
>> explicitely stating there should be translation. Which is enough...
>

> I agree with Godefroid here. It is explicit, and it's a lot easier on
> the developer to be able to do this in the Python code in many cases,
> instead of having to modify the page templates.

The Python code is explicitly aying that the value is a message id.
It is *not* explcitly aying that it should be translated.  For better
or worse, message ids are also strings.  It is common to do string
opeations on message ids without translation. In fact, there is no way,
in general to know that translation should be done.  If you look
at the example that Godefroid gave, doing translation implcitly is
clearly the wrong thing to do.