[Zope3-dev] Re: Sprint Topics

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 24 14:16:41 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Skin Improvements
>
> **Please** let's not start a new skin, before we have settled on a final way
> of doing the UI. Many people liked the "rotterdam" skin, but in the last two
> years the core developers always struggled with the damn thing, because none
> of the original UI designers (except Sidnei who did the critical fixes) was
> to be found.

Creating a new Skin is a big task.

   * The first step is to know the various use cases and common tasks
for the default skin.

Aahh, found some here (probably out ouf date):
<http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/UserGoalsAndUseCases>

   * Then we'll need some kind of conventions for the UI,
     aka style guide.

That was a sprint topic in 2002
<http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/CMSprintUserInterface>

   * Think about modularization, widgets, browser support, etc.

<http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ZopeWidgets>
<http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/UIPresentation>

   * A Web designer can create a graphical layout based on the
     information above.

   * Finally, a group of ZPT HTML CSS wizzards can create a well
     tested rock solid skin. (Testing and debugging the UI is not as easy
     as writing doc tests ;)

The way towards a good Z3 UI is not clear, at least for me. Is there
someone who is the "official" Z3 UI project leader?

Tonico