AW: [Zope3-dev] Sprint Topics

dev at projekt01.ch dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Sep 24 21:19:32 EDT 2004

Hi together:

> Here are some comments about the topics in this category:
>
> LDAP
>
> I would love to see an LDAP Adapter, like we have Database
> adapters and an
> LDAP script, which returns result sets in a similar fashion
> to the SQL
> script. I also think that finishing the LDAP principal source
> would be cool.
> However, PAS will be ported to Zope 3, so we might want to wait.

I hope, Nicolas is comming to the sprint. He was working on the
ldapauth package. And he was thinkng on to implement the LDAP
auth as a DB adapter.

> Skin Improvements
>
> **Please** let's not start a new skin, before we have settled
> on a final way
> of doing the UI. Many people liked the "rotterdam" skin, but
> in the last two
> years the core developers always struggled with the damn
> thing, because none
> of the original UI designers (except Sidnei who did the
> critical fixes) was
> to be found.

I whould like to make the skin concept clear for the future.
We really need a stable and flexible skin concept for to develope
our products. It's important to us to know how we can register some
additional information (slots) in a base ZMI zope skin. Rotterdam
makes it impossible right now for to develope some nice gadgets with
javascript or xml-rpc. There is no concept for to enhance the skin
from the objects view.

I hope we can make a good and flexible concept for the future.
I agree, we really need another skin, but the rotter(damn) skin
need some work.

There are other tings that we should cleanup. e.g. some
hardcoded python view classes like the contents.py.
That's also a big restriction for the developer where whould like
to dev another skin.

Perhaps a exlude directive in the override concept whould also be great.
This whould be usefull if you inherit from the rotterdam skin and
you don't whant to provide a registred view e.g. like the class browser
view.

Also a big restriction is the different standards where everybody use
in the templates for to format the output. Some use tables some use
div tags and the H1, H2, H3 and H4 tags are weird mixed for titles etc.
We have to find a standard way which gives you the biggest flexiblity
in skinning the output with CSS. Otherwise if you have a custom skin project
and some templates don't fit, you have to replace the (herdcoded) views
which mostly registred as a directive (editform, browserview). This kind
of views are imposible to change.

I suggest to write a Skin Style Guide for view templates which can
show how we should write view templates.

> Menus (new topic)
>
> While I converted the menus to be subscription adapters this
> week, there are
> still some outstanding tasks, such as allowing for sub-menus,
> supporting menu
> item icons and having a menu item be available, but disabled.

We should add submenus to the zmi_actions. e.g submenus of the
Add action could be the Content Types where you can add.

Regards
Roger