[Zope3-dev] Vocabulariy issues

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:24:25 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:49:05 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> > It seems that ISourceQueryView is UI for a specific
> > IInputWidget that is displayed as a separate dialog. This is similar to,
> > e.g., a date/time widget that provides a separate dialog for navigating
> > a calendar UI. Any input widget that provides a UI that has its own
> > request/response support would fall into this category.
>
> Sure

Jim,

How are you going from an ISource to an ISourceQueryView?  The
vocabulary framework has a specific hook (getQuery) to allow different
kinds of query views to be used in conjunction with a single type of
vocabulary.

This could be done using specialized source interfaces that are mostly
markers, but that doesn't seem like an improvement so much as just a
different way to do things.  It feels more like a constraint on the
way code is written than anything else.

[Garrett]
> > I'd like to see the widget framework enhanced for this sort of thing.
> > The typical scenario would look something like this:
> > This scenario would be different if the dialog is displayed in a
> > separate window or an iframe (probably the more common use case for
> > modern UIs). E.g., step 3 would not be necessary and their would be some
> > browser scripting involved.

These don't feel good.  I wouldn't describe we do now as either of these.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation