[Zope3-dev] Vocabulariy issues

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 27 17:40:49 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:49:05 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>>>It seems that ISourceQueryView is UI for a specific
>>>IInputWidget that is displayed as a separate dialog. This is similar to,
>>>e.g., a date/time widget that provides a separate dialog for navigating
>>>a calendar UI. Any input widget that provides a UI that has its own
>>>request/response support would fall into this category.
>>
>>Sure
>

> Jim,
>
> How are you going from an ISource to an ISourceQueryView?

Directly.  I just look up an ISourceQueryView on the source.

 > The
> vocabulary framework has a specific hook (getQuery) to allow different
> kinds of query views to be used in conjunction with a single type of
> vocabulary.

I assume you didn't mean "query view".  Why do we want multiple kinds
of query mechanisms on the same type of vocabulary?

Do we have any cases in which we use this?  The only way this can work
is by setting queries on vocabulary instances.  Do we do this anywhere?

> This could be done using specialized source interfaces that are mostly
> markers, but that doesn't seem like an improvement so much as just a
> different way to do things.  It feels more like a constraint on the
> way code is written than anything else.

Most vocabularies don't use queries, so getQuery ends up being a
dead chicken.  Vocabularies are really specification objects.
I don't like including application code (or applicaton components,
like queries) in what are otherwise specification objects.