[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Wed Sep 29 03:08:38 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

<snip>

>> I am all for this separation, I am just pleading for no need of
>> explicit use of i18n:translate when the engine actually decides to
>> translate !
>

> You keep pleading, but you don't give any reason why you need this.
> I, OTOH, have given a specific reason why this would be harmful.

I disagree, I have given a reason why I want it : have a unique place to
  mark strings that need to be translated. And avoid having to repeat it
twice for message ids. This is for the very general case of using those
strings.

You have not told me why this was wrong.

You just gave an example of a very specific case where the comportment
could be of a problem.

In case of an application that needs to manage translations, I do not
see why it *has* to use message ids instances. In this case, those
strings are data when the message ids are part of the framework. The
developper can just rewrite its own class. Which is a pain ;-) as this
is the most frequent use of message ids ;-)

When a site manager desires a unique language for his site he should set
it up as needed. And anyway, in most cases, when the site should use a
unique language that is not english, translation is needed anyway, I
mean we cannot use the default english string.

> Jim

Hoping_you_found_my_arguments,

--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)                http://bubblenet.be