[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 29 10:11:32 EDT 2004

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>

>>> I am all for this separation, I am just pleading for no need of
>>> explicit use of i18n:translate when the engine actually decides to
>>> translate !
>>

>> You keep pleading, but you don't give any reason why you need this.
>> I, OTOH, have given a specific reason why this would be harmful.
>>

> I disagree, I have given a reason why I want it :

Right, you haven't old me why you *need* this.

 > have a unique place to
>  mark strings that need to be translated. And avoid having to repeat it
> twice for message ids. This is for the very general case of using those
> strings.

Sorry:

1. Avioding typing is not an important goal

2. You are mixing 2 different bits of information: message id data, and the
    desire to translate on a string operation.

> You have not told me why this was wrong.

I've told you exactly why this is wrong. I'll repeat:

- It is implicit wrt translation.

- It guesses wrong in many cases. For example, I might want
   to output a message id as a string. With implicit translation,
   I can't do that without anti-magic.

> You just gave an example of a very specific case where the comportment
> could be of a problem.

Right. And you haven't given any examples where explicitly requesting
translation is a problem.

We are repeating each other.  I'm going to summarize my position and then
stop responding unless someone comes up with something new to say.

As long as message ids are strings, we are not going to translate
implicitly.  I'm open to making them not be strings, but that is a big
change that won't happen overnight.