[Zope3-dev] Removing I18nFile and I18nImage from X3.0

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Sep 30 05:56:46 EDT 2004

Juergen Rose wrote:
>> when I18nFile and I18nImage were origianlly developed they were a
>> proof of
>> concept on how to to I18n'ed content. However, it was always only a
>> prototype
>> and sanity check during early development. The current state of the two
>> components is rather sad, since they have not been properly maintained. I
>> therefore propose to remove the two from the X3.0 release; no other code
>> should depend on it.
>>
>> Objections?
>

> I do not use them right now, but I think it is good to have something
> equivalent. For Images there are to different use cases in my opinion.
> The first is the one what did the original I18nImage, which helps to
> have for instance pictures with text in it, in different languages. The
> second thing would be, to have one image, but with i18n aware title,
> description, keywords, ... .
>
> And I really would like to have such things with the stock ZopeX3
> because they are extremely useful, and great examples to implement stuff
> like that on your own :-)

We didn't mean to include them with X3.0.  This was a mistake on our part.
I'm happy to have something like this in some readily available common
infrastructure, but I don't think this should be in Zope itself, for 2 reasons:

1. I beleave that I18n content is highly dependent on specific user cases,
    policies, and processes.

2. Anything non-trivial that is included with Zope should be solid enough
    that we think it should be widely used.

OTOH, I wouldn't object to including things like I18nFile/Image in some kind of
demo directory if:

- They were good enough to be used as examples, and

- They were well documented so that they served well as training tools
   and clearly presented the design assumptions and limitations.