[Zope3-dev] Removing I18nFile and I18nImage from X3.0

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Sep 30 06:17:40 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:13:50 +0800, Juergen Rose <juergen at ipixel.com.au> wrote:
>
>>The second thing would be, to have one image, but with i18n aware title,
>>description, keywords, ... .
>

> I think this is an issue for the Dublin Core support we currently have
> in Zope 3 (likely Zope 2 as well).  Our model for this metadata is
> confused at best.

I don't agree at all.  In what way is it confused?  It is no more confused
that the DC itself, which is an extremely open-ended standard.  The problem
with dublic core is that the sementic os the data are poorly defined.
My aproach was to provide the means to store the data, but to impose
very little sementics, leaving that to be defined as use cases became
clear.

We provide a mechanism for storing DC data and we provide some basic
facilities to store some.

 > I spent a little time looking into it several
> months ago, but haven't had time to really figure out just what needs
> to be done.

Which has little to do with the implementation.

> One of the issues is that we don't have a good set of use cases for
> what we want to do with a lot of the metadata.  We maintain the
> Creation Data and Modified Date internally, but don't really use
> anything else.

Exactly.

> The current way Zope 3 handles metadata as an annotation in the common
> case doesn't help either; it really encourages thinking of the
> metadata as a separate, optional bit of data.

And what is wrong with that?

 > In practice, whether
> fields are optional is determined on a field-by-field basis for each
> content type.

No.  Not really. If it depended on the content type, then it wouldn't be
meta data.

It depends more on the application and the way it uses meta data.  Zope, being
an application server, can not anticipate that except in a very few common cases.

I think it would be very worth while to think about how to internationalize
meta data.  The advantage of coming up with a mechanism for internationalizing
meta data is that it bebefits all content.