[Zope3-dev] Removing I18nFile and I18nImage from X3.0

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 00:22:19 EDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:13:50 +0800, Juergen Rose <juergen at ipixel.com.au> wrote:
> The second thing would be, to have one image, but with i18n aware title,
> description, keywords, ... .

I think this is an issue for the Dublin Core support we currently have
in Zope 3 (likely Zope 2 as well).  Our model for this metadata is
confused at best.  I spent a little time looking into it several
months ago, but haven't had time to really figure out just what needs
to be done.

One of the issues is that we don't have a good set of use cases for
what we want to do with a lot of the metadata.  We maintain the
Creation Data and Modified Date internally, but don't really use
anything else.

The current way Zope 3 handles metadata as an annotation in the common
case doesn't help either; it really encourages thinking of the
metadata as a separate, optional bit of data.  In practice, whether
fields are optional is determined on a field-by-field basis for each
content type.

Or at least that's my take on the matter.  I'm not a metadata professional.  ;-)

  -Fred

Zope Corporation