[Zope3-dev] Re: Removing I18nFile and I18nImage from X3.0

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 30 18:38:30 EDT 2004

Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> when I18nFile and I18nImage were origianlly developed they were a
>> proof of concept on how to to I18n'ed content. However, it was always
>> only a prototype and sanity check during early development. The
>> current state of the two components is rather sad, since they have not
>> been properly maintained. I therefore propose to remove the two from
>> the X3.0 release; no other code should depend on it.
>>
>> Objections?
>

> +1
>
> Some time ago I thought about some sort of I18n container - so someone
> can select a page for one language and a folder for another language,
> for example. This should be useful since sites often have different
> navigation trees for different languages.

I wrote something like this, more as a proof of concept than out of an
actual need: http://codespeak.net/svn/z3/pentecost/trunk/

The idea was to write something that would work with any IContainer
implementation (has to support arbritrary names, though) and any content
type that could be stored in this container. I haven't had a thorough
look at LinguaPlone yet but I feel their approach is a bit saner. Only
problem is that we don't have the association framework yet...

Philipp