[Zope3-dev] Release numbering

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 20 15:16:28 EDT 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> 2. The X in Zope 3X means that there is not yet support for
>>    Zope 2 transition.  It's about setting expectations.
>

> But we're setting the expectation that one day there will be a version
> of Zope 3 that supports Zope 2.

No. We are setting the expectation that we will provide a supported
transition process.  That *could* be backwward compatibility, but it
might be much less.

 > Is this a realistic expectation? Stephan
> doesn't seem to think so, for one.

I think it is reasonable.

>>    I'm OK with dropping the X is someone else wants to manage
>>    this communication another way, but I'd rather not drop it.
>

> You could just say "Zope 3 is not compatible with Zope 2".

This is not acceptable in the long term.

> It just depends on how you count feature releases; for marketing reasons
> you might want to call a significant feature advance Zope 4. If Zope 4
> means a total rewrite from scratch, then please noooooh.

Fair enough.  I certainly don't want to see another architectural
change as big as Zope 3.