[Zope3-dev] Building standalone ZPT from Zope 3 using zpkgtools

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 02:51:30 EDT 2005

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to build a standalone ZPT package from Zope 3 using
> zpkgtools?
>
> To make matters more fun, it's on Windows ;-)

Well, I have to admit, I'm seriously impressed.
Having understood that zpkgtools only works on unix, I did the following:

svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zpkgtools/trunk

cd zpkgtools

bin/zpkg
--resource-map=svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ReleaseSupport/trunk/PackageMaps/zope3.map
-ca ZPT

(my only niggle here was that I thought this had hung, it'd be nice to
have a verbose option for people like me so it says what it's doing)

Anyway, out popped ZPT-0.0.0.tgz, which I copied to my windows box and
unpacked. Then it was a case of:

cd ZPT-0.0.0
c:\python23\python install.py bdist_wininst

And in dist appeared:
Zope3-TAL-0.0.0.win32-py2.3.exe

...which ran just fine and installed what looks like everything I need
for using zope3's ZPT outside of Zope.

So, now to see if I can get Z3's ZPT working outside of Zope.

Anyway, like I said, so far I'm seriously impressed. Great work whoever
helped out in making this process so quick and easy :-)

Chris