[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Repository State

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Aug 1 05:00:40 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> We will also require Python 2.4 for Zope 3.2, so feel free to use new
>> Python features such as decorators.
>

> How did we decide this?  Shouldn't we follow a proposal-based policy for
> a change like this?

I would favor Python 2.4 for Zope 3.2, for two reasons:

* 2.4 has been out for a while now, and it will be out for a long time
by the time december happens. Maintaining a Zope 3.2 for two python
versions is a pain.

* zope.formlib wants Python 2.4, and I want zope.formlib to be part of
Zope 3.2.

> Note that this also effects Zope 2.  Starting with the next release,
> the Zope 2 and Zope 3 will be released together.  Zope 2.9 will
> include Zope 3.2.  If Zope 3.2 requires Python 2.4, then so will
> Zope 2.9.

We can still go back to making Zope 2.9 contain Zope 3.1 instead. I
still favor this approach where Zope 2.x trails one version behind Zope
3.x. Working with a stable Zope 3 version makes a Five developer's life
easier, and we have less release dependencies to worry about. It is a
bit frustrating for Zope 2.x developers as they don't have the latest
and greatest Zope 3.x but I don't consider this a big problem myself as
its only lagging behind 1 release cycle so they only need to wait to get
newer features.

Regards,

Martijn