[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Dec 7 10:29:41 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 09:47, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>If I understand you correctly, you just propose to keep layers and get
>>rid of skins while I roughly propose to do it the other way around. I
>>really don't see a big difference :).
>

> The difference is in effort. :-) If we keep layers around, there is no need to
> changed any browser directive, but if we keep skin around, then we have to
> change eventually all browser:* directives "layer" attribute to "skin".

If you read my proposal carefully, you'll see that I never proposed to
change any ZCML directive parameter.

> Also, you called the new interface "ISkinLayerType". Layer is the more general
> term, so you really proposed to keep layers around as well. :-)

No I didn't. I don't follow your thinking here. I proposed to
consolidate the concepts into one. Whether we call that "layer" or "skin
layer", I don't really care. I guess you propose to call it "layer"
whereas "skin" would be a conceptual term based on layers (like view is
a conceptual term based on adapters).

> Personally I like layers better anyways, since it makes conceptually more
> sense to me.

I'm not really choosing one over the other conceptually, maybe only from
a nomenclature point of view.

> As to Martijn's comments, I think that the term "skin" can still be around,
> like the term "view" does, but it should be a conceptual term, not an
> implemented one.

Right.

Philipp