[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Wed Dec 7 16:33:14 EST 2005

Phillip's Proposal:
Furthermore, I propose to remove the |IDefaultLayer| interface. We've
been using the |default| layer as a connotation of "always being
available unless overridden by a more specific layer." However, this
does not apply all the time: When the |default| layer is not included in
a specific skin, nothing from the |default| layer will be found even
though the ZCML statements suggest that it would always be available. I
therefore propose to make the |default| skin layer an alias for
|IBrowserRequest|. Anything registered for |default| will obviously
always be available then, no matter what your skin layer looks like.

-1
I really appreciate that I can disable all registrations if I do not
derive a skin from the default layer. That's very important use case for
us. We introduced a minimal layer that is providing only the most
important functionality like traversers etc. Regularly we derive
end-user skins from this minimal layer and then we register all views
explicitly so that we have full controll over accessibility of information.

Regards,
Dominik