[Zope3-dev] Removing hard dependency from zope.i18nmessageid C extension

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 9 18:39:41 EST 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote at 2005-2-9 07:37 -0500:

>>Agreed.  As a general principal, we should have C and Python
>>versions of things.
>

> Is it really worth the effort?

Generally, yes

> We have "pDocumentTemplate" and "cDocumentTemplate" in Zope 2.
> A long time ago, "cDocumentTemplate" might have been
> the optimized version of "pDocumentTemplate".
> But nowadays, this is no longer the case: while
> "cDocumentTemplate" works, "pDocumentTemplate" no longer does
> (as only the C version was maintained).

Dang, that's a shame.

> I would drop the Python version as soon as a well
> tested C version is available.

Sometimes, it's really nice to have the Python version
for debugging.  Also, for maintaining the C code, it's nice
to have the Python version act as an executable specification.
When you want to change something, make the change to the Python
code and test it, *then* change the C code after you've debugged the
Python version.

Also, the Python version is useful for portability, which is the issue
Christian originally raised.