[Zope3-dev] Re: Removing hard dependency from zope.i18nmessageid C extension

Christian Heimes heimes at faho.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Feb 9 19:14:56 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Sometimes, it's really nice to have the Python version
> for debugging.  Also, for maintaining the C code, it's nice
> to have the Python version act as an executable specification.
> When you want to change something, make the change to the Python
> code and test it, *then* change the C code after you've debugged the
> Python version.

C extensions are like a black box for lot's of python only developers.
You have to understand python, C and cPython to understand a c
extensions. Also you can't use pdb or similar python tools to debug a C
module.

I understand it's a PITA to maintain both implementations. On the other
hand it's very handy for developers like me who like reading code to
understand implementations.

Christian