[Zope3-dev] Re: Problem adding authentication utility in srichter-blow-services branch

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Feb 10 17:01:30 EST 2005

Amos Latteier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing out the srichter-blow-services branch. I like the site
> management ui changes. I must confess that I never really understood the
> site configuration ui before. The SiteManagement view makes things
> clearer. Though I don't understand what site management folders are for
> or what the difference between "default" and "tools" is.

Site management folders are supposed to make deployment of local
components easier. First, they provide a place for your local
components, second they let you have the same type of components sit
next to each other in two different folders, while just one of them is
activated. So they allow concurrent instances by introducing a sort-of
namespace (which is not relevant to component lookup, though; activated
and deactived registrations are).

The use case here is that you can install a new version of a software by
dropping in a new site management folder while the old version is still
active.

Hope that helps (and was right ;))

Philipp