[Zope3-dev] Re: Problem adding authentication utility in srichter-blow-services branch

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 10 17:09:51 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Amos Latteier wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm testing out the srichter-blow-services branch. I like the site
>> management ui changes. I must confess that I never really understood
>> the site configuration ui before. The SiteManagement view makes things
>> clearer. Though I don't understand what site management folders are
>> for or what the difference between "default" and "tools" is.
>

> Site management folders are supposed to make deployment of local
> components easier. First, they provide a place for your local
> components, second they let you have the same type of components sit
> next to each other in two different folders, while just one of them is
> activated. So they allow concurrent instances by introducing a sort-of
> namespace (which is not relevant to component lookup, though; activated
> and deactived registrations are).
>
> The use case here is that you can install a new version of a software by
> dropping in a new site management folder while the old version is still
> active.
>
> Hope that helps (and was right ;))

Mostly right, except that you wouldn't install software by dropping in
a folder.  We won't be distributing TTW software.  We will eventually
support TTW software prototyping.  You might create a site-management
folder to prototype some new content types or views.  You'll be able to
do this interactively, without restarting Zope.  At some point, you'll
use a UI that creates a file-system package from your TTW prototype.