[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 release planning

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 17 10:03:33 EST 2005

Derrick Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:55:16PM +0100, Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> [...]
>
> | at this juncture, when people are starting to dwelve into Zope3 I would
> | say that stability is more important.
>
> Don't forget that there are two kinds of stability.  You discussed one
> of them, and I have no arguments against what you said.  However,
> Zope3 is currently lacking the other kind of stability.  Version 3.0
> is released, however I already know that the authentication and
> services aspects of it are significantly changed for 3.1.

The changes are backward compatible (or will be).  Applications built
using public APIs in 3.0 should work fine with 3.1, although they
may generate deprecation warnings.  Unfortunately, "public APIs" isn't
as crisp as it should be.  We will, however, try very hard to make sure
applications that work with 3.0 work with 3.1.

 > I am stuck
> between a) creating and maintaining already-obsolete code

Code you write now for 3.0 should work in 3.1 and 3.2.

 > b) trying to
> justify developing against the trunk and keeping pace with it

That's what we're doing. It hasn't been very burdensome.

 > or c)
> sitting on my hands waiting for 3.1.  I don't think I can manage 'b',
> and I'm adverse to 'a' for non-pressing matters, so I am currently
> stuck with 'c'.

Obviously, that's up to you.